Using the dataset outside this contest

Hello, I would like some more clarity on how the data in this contest can be used. I am thinking about making a public notebook showing how to use this data, and would like other people to be able to run it after the contest ends. This notebook may end up being part of the documentation for Raster Vision. Is this permissible? It seems like it’s not based on my reading of the contest agreement quoted below. This would be unfortunate as it discourages me from putting effort into working with this dataset.

“Unless otherwise permitted by the terms of the Competition Website, Participants must use the Data solely for the purpose and duration of the Competition”

1 Like

Hi @lewfish - Thanks for the question! It is true that the competition dataset is only approved for the purpose and duration of the competition.

However, the data partner does plan on making the data available (hosted elsewhere) after the competition for ongoing research and development. This dataset should be very similar to the competition dataset, with a few additional variables (e.g. raw LiDAR values, geocoding, etc.,). Any notebook you develop with the competition dataset would likely need slight modifications to work with the data released post-competition. If you are still interested in using this dataset, I would stay tuned to the forum for announcements related to the public release of the data.

1 Like

Thank you. That sounds totally reasonable.

1 Like

Hi @lewfish ,

We have great news - the dataset for this competition is now public! Please see our Open Data page for the competition for more details and access.

We’re excited to see any future projects you use the data for - feel free to post about it here if you want to share!

1 Like