Introduction from MathWorks Team

Hi everyone!

I’d like to introduce @nehagoel and myself.

We are the MathWorks team who wrote the MATLAB benchmark code and will be periodically checking this forum for any MATLAB related questions.

If you don’t have access to MATLAB, or the latest version/certain toolboxes, you may go to our website and request a complimentary license which will last for the duration of the challenge.

Looking forward to hearing from those attempting MATLAB in pursuit of the bonus prize (or otherwise)!

Sebastian

2 Likes

Hi there,

I just want to double check how long the benchmark code will run. The bigimage code takes forever to finish. (I haven’t used the bigimage method before so have no idea how it works and the file seems extraodinarily large)

Hi,

The loading and preprocessing the data takes some time due to larger images, but it also depends on the type of compute you are using. On a GPU it will be faster (few minutes) but will take longer on CPU. To have a better performance on CPU set the “UseParallel” flag to true, which will speed things by starting a parallel pool that uses multiple CPU cores on your machine.

For Training part just set the “doTraining” flag to False so that it uses the pre saved network ( download the presaved network from Github given).

Also to know more the bigimage check out this documentation :bigimage

Let me know if you have any other question.

Thanks
Neha