Can I use HYDRAFloods and geemap?

HYDRAFloods is an open source Python app that uses openly available NASA data from Landsat, VIIRS, MODIS, Sentinel-1 and Sentinel-2. However, it runs via Google Earth Engine. In an earlier post on this forum, using Google Earth Engine wasn’t highly recommended. It seems though that this app’s use of the Engine isn’t limiting the openness of the science (it’s free and publicly available especially since I’m using it for noncommercial purposes). With this, can I use HYDRAFloods to build my visualization?

I am also thinking of using the open source geemap package which visualizes data with Google Earth Engine. Is geemap ok for this competition?

I look forward to hearing from you soon! Thanks!

@handales Good question!

Any tools used must be publicly available and free to use (see the problem description for details). As of now, Google Earth Engine does not clearly comply with these rules. As a result, we would not recommend using the Google Earth Engine API in your submission. Both of these packages appear to rely on the Google Earth Engine API for most of the functionality that they provide.

If that policy changes, we’ll notify folks by posting on the Announcements page of the competition.

For some other good options for accessing competition data, I recommend checking out the data resources blog post . Best of luck and let us know if you have any other questions!

1 Like