Sharing my solution inquiry

Hi,
I would like to make my solution public, ideally this weekend. It includes all 3 stages of the competition. “Share your work section” says that “For prize competitions, shared work will be hidden until the competition is over. For non-prize competitions, shared work will be shown straight away”. Even though the Final Prize Stage submissions are already closed, the end date of this stage is set to 2024-07-31, so I assume that even after using share my work option, the link will be hidden until the end of July. Can I still make my github repository public and share it outside the competition now (could also provide a link in this thread)? Is the Explainability and Communication Bonus Track based solely on the Final Prize Stage models, so it’s safe for me to share my solution, as the other participants can’t adjust their models to take into account my code/ideas? Also, just for a confirmation, the final report could be also included in the repo without losing availability for prizes?

Hi @progin,

Is there any particular reason with time sensitivity for why you’d like to make your solution public this weekend? I want to make sure that we’ve considered things carefully on the organizing side before giving you any official guidance here.

On the eligibility/rules side, you are generally permitted to share information about your solution publicly without running afoul of the rules. The rules disallow private sharing of solutions outside of a team.

Hi @jayqi,
I’m just looking for a job and this competition seems like a best way to demonstrate my skills. Would you be able to clarify when the official guidance could be released? It doesn’t have to be necessarily this weekend but it would be great if I could make my code public in about a week without any worries.

Hi @progin,

Following up on your questions.

To reiterate what I previously stated, while the competition is active, the main requirement is that you may not privately share any part of your solution outside members of your team (if you are a part of one). This is documented in this part of the challenge rules.

The data used in this competition is publicly available and not subject to any data use restrictions, so whatever you share can freely refer to the data. Note that this may not generally be true for other competitions.

In conclusion, you are free to share your solution publicly during the challenge, and you can share your solution publicly or privately after the challenge ends.

Is the Explainability and Communication Bonus Track based solely on the Final Prize Stage models

Yes, this is correct. We just released the details for the Explainability Bonus Track today, and it requires that submissions be based on the models from the Final Prize Stage. Additionally, the focus of the bonus track is on explaining and communicating forecasts, and not on modeling.

the end date of this stage is set to 2024-07-31, so I assume that even after using share my work option, the link will be hidden until the end of July

Yes, this is correct.

Hi @jayqi,
Thank you for your answer. Just for the final confirmation, private sharing means sharing code only with some selected people and public sharing means making solution public for everyone, for example on GitHub? If that’s so, I’ll make my solution public on GitHub and will provide a link to my solution (code and report) also in this thread in a few days for everyone interested.

Yes, that is correct.

1 Like

Hi,
If someone’s interested, here’s a link to my solution: GitHub - progin2037/water_supply_forecast_rodeo_competition: [2024] Water Supply Forecast Rodeo competition forecasts in Python using LightGBM models and distribution estimates.

2 Likes

Extremely interested, thank you for sharing. @jayqi, what do the rules say about comments, questions, and discussion of what @progin has released? Does it need to be public discourse, or can I message him privately (and vice versa)?