Anomaly Detection -- R Code to Load Data and Fill NAs

I’m using this competition as the basis for three assignments in a course I’m taking. The course is DSE6211GA Machine Learning, offered through Merrimack College’s Data Science degree program. The first assignment is an analytic plan, in which I included this R code:

library(dplyr)
library(tidyr)
library(readr)
library(zoo)

# A selected time series of consumption data for selected meters within 3 different sites.
system.time(train <- read_csv("DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/train.csv", col_types="ic?n"))
names(train)[1] <- "obs_id"
print(paste("Initial read of train.csv, dimensions:", dim(train)[1], "x", dim(train)[2]))

# Additional information about the included buildings.
building <- read_csv("DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/metadata.csv")

# join
train <- left_join(train, building, by="meter_id")

# convert Wh to kWh
train$Values[train$units=="Wh" & 
!is.na(train$units)] <- train$Values[train$units=="Wh" & 
!is.na(train$units)]/1000 
train$units[train$units=="Wh" & 
!is.na(train$units)] <- "kWh" # and adjust the unit

# Historical Weather Data
weather <- read_csv("DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/weather.csv", col_types="i?nnc")
weather$site_id[weather$site_id=="38"] <- "038" #the leading zero appears in the main dataset
# TODO group by site, average, join to train, check for NAs

# Public Holidays
holidays <- read_csv("DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/holidays.csv")

# The format for the submission to the competition.
# We only are evaluating is_abnormal against a subset of the meter_ids that are in the consumption 
# dataset. Competitors can use the entire consumption dataset to create their algorithms, but 
# should only submit the meters and times that appear in the submission format.

test <- read_csv("DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/submission_format.csv")
test_meters <- levels(as.factor(test$meter_id)) # OK, so what meters are in in submission_format file?print(test_meters)

for (i in 1:length(test_meters)) {
    plot(select(filter(train, meter_id==test_meters[i]), Timestamp, Values))
}

print(paste(test_meters[i],
                "has",
                sum(is.na(train$Values[train$meter_id==test_meters[i]])),
                "NAs"))
}

# We could look to another meter in the building for a good correlation:
filter(train, meter_id %in% c(test_meters[2], "2")) %>% select(Values, Timestamp, meter_id) %>% spread(meter_id, Values) %>% na.omit() %>% select(-Timestamp) %>% cor()

# But, the oher meter might also have NAs at the same Timestamp:
filter(train, meter_id %in% c(test_meters[2], "2")) %>% select(Values, Timestamp, meter_id) %>% spread(meter_id, Values) %>% tail()
# that there are NAs at the end of the dataset also presents problems for interpolating to replace NAs

# For thresholding on deltas, we can just fill the NAs with the preceding value:
train_locf <- select(train, meter_id, Timestamp, Values) %>% filter(meter_id %in% test_meters)
    print(paste("meter_id: ", test_meters[i]))
    print(paste("NAs:", sum(is.na(train_locf$Values[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]]))))
    train_locf$Values[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]] <- na.locf(object=
                                                                          train_locf$Values[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]],
                                                                      fromLast=FALSE, 
                                                                      na.rm=FALSE)
    print(paste("NAs after LOCF:", sum(is.na(train_locf$Values[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]]))))
                                                                      fromLast=TRUE, 
                                                                      na.rm=FALSE)
    print(paste("NAs after NOCB:", sum(is.na(train_locf$Values[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]]))))
}
1 Like

Good work so far. What are you planning to use for anomaly detection? I’m looking at the tsoutliers package but don’t have much experience working with it.

Thanks! tsoutliers is on my list of things to try, though I don’t have experience with it either. There is also Twitter’s AnomalyDetection tool.

My attempts at using tsoutliers haven’t yielded very high scores. I’ve been better off grouping by time and day of the week and finding data points much higher than the average.

I’m not sure if time-series anomaly detection is the best approach because it looks for points that are extreme relative to the surrounding points. Building energy consumption exhibits daily and weekly patterns so I think we might be better off comparing to the same time on the same day of the week rather than comparing data points right next to one another.

I may also be completely wrong, but based on the scores I have submitted, tsoutliers and time-series anomaly detection is not yielding decent results.

I’ve not had any better luck with the AnomalyDetection library. So far, my high score (0.2723) is just one of my baseline tests, not a real analysis. With my analytical approaches, the score goes up when I report more anomalies, which makes me wonder if the privately labeled “anomalies” are really anomalies in the typical sense.

Next assignment for class is a progress report. The code I included in that report is below. Includes my AnomalyDetection attempts and more:

library(dplyr)
library(tidyr)
library(readr)
library(zoo)
library(devtools)
# devtools::install_github("twitter/AnomalyDetection")
library(AnomalyDetection) 
library(randomForest)

# A selected time series of consumption data for selected meters within 3 different sites.
system.time(train <- read_csv("DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/train.csv", col_types="ic?n"))
names(train)[1] <- "obs_id"
print(paste("Initial read of train.csv, dimensions:", dim(train)[1], "x", dim(train)[2]))

# Additional information about the included buildings.
building <- read_csv("DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/metadata.csv")

# join
train <- left_join(train, building, by="meter_id")

# convert Wh to kWh
train$Values[train$units=="Wh" & 
                 !is.na(train$units)] <- train$Values[train$units=="Wh" & 
                                                           !is.na(train$units)]/1000 
train$units[train$units=="Wh" & 
                !is.na(train$units)] <- "kWh" # and adjust the unit

# Historical Weather Data
weather <- read_csv("DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/weather.csv", col_types="i?nnc")
weather$site_id[weather$site_id=="38"] <- "038" #the leading zero appears in the main dataset
# TODO group by site, average, join to train, check for NAs

# Public Holidays
holidays <- read_csv("DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/holidays.csv")

# The format for the submission to the competition.
# We only are evaluating is_abnormal against a subset of the meter_ids that are in the consumption 
# dataset. Competitors can use the entire consumption dataset to create their algorithms, but 
# should only submit the meters and times that appear in the submission format.

test <- read_csv("DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/submission_format.csv")
test_meters <- levels(as.factor(test$meter_id)) # OK, so what meters are in in submission_format file?print(test_meters)

plot(select(filter(train, meter_id==test_meters[i]), Timestamp, Values),
         main=paste("Energy Readings, Site", test_meters[i]),
         xlab="Date",
         ylab="Energy Usage (kWh)")
}

print(paste(test_meters[i],
                "has",
                sum(is.na(train$Values[train$meter_id==test_meters[i]])),
                "NAs"))
}

# We could look to another meter in the building for a good correlation:
filter(train, meter_id %in% c(test_meters[2], "2")) %>% select(Values, Timestamp, meter_id) %>% spread(meter_id, Values) %>% na.omit() %>% select(-Timestamp) %>% cor()

# But, the oher meter might also have NAs at the same Timestamp:
filter(train, meter_id %in% c(test_meters[2], "2")) %>% select(Values, Timestamp, meter_id) %>% spread(meter_id, Values) %>% tail()
# that there are NAs at the end of the dataset also presents problems for interpolating to replace NAs

# For thresholding on deltas, we can just fill the NAs with the preceding value:
train_locf <- select(train, meter_id, Timestamp, Values) %>% filter(meter_id %in% test_meters)
    print(paste("NAs:", sum(is.na(train_locf$Values[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]]))))
                                                        fromLast=FALSE, 
                                                        na.rm=FALSE)
    print(paste("NAs after LOCF:", sum(is.na(train_locf$Values[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]]))))
                                                        fromLast=TRUE, 
                                                        na.rm=FALSE)
    print(paste("NAs after NOCB:", sum(is.na(train_locf$Values[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]]))))
}

# what if we set everything to is_abnormal = TRUE?
test_allTrue <- test
test_allTrue$is_abnormal <- TRUE
write_csv(test_allTrue, "DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/predict_allTrue.csv")

train_locf$Values_cs <- NA
train_locf$six_sigma_increase <- NA
train_locf$six_sigma_decrease <- NA
train_locf$three_sigma_increase <- NA
train_locf$three_sigma_decrease <- NA
train_locf$is_abnormal <- NA
for(i in 1:length(test_meters)) {
    values <- unlist(select(filter(train_locf, meter_id==test_meters[i]), Values))
    diffs <- c(0, diff(values, lag=1))

if(sum(diffs[-1] >= 0)/length(diffs[-1]) > 0.99)  {
        # if the deltas are >>50% positive (or zero), then it's probably cumulative
        train_locf$Values_cs[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]] <- train_locf$Values[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]]
        if(any(diffs<0)) {
            # if the deltas are <100% postive (or zero), then it probably wraps-around
            wraps <- which(diffs<0)
            limit <- 10^round(log10(max(values)))
            print(values[wraps])
            for(w in 1:length(wraps)) {
                print(paste("Correcting wrap", i, "onwards"))
                values[wraps[w]:length(values)] <- values[wraps[w]:length(values)] + limit
                print(values[wraps])
            }
            values <- c(0, diff(values, lag=1))
            train_locf$Values[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]] <- values
            } else {
            }
    } else {
        train_locf$Values_cs[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]] <- cumsum(train_locf$Values[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]])
    }

plot(diffs, main=paste("Reading-to-Reading Deltas for", test_meters[i]))
    abline(h=mean(diffs, na.rm=TRUE), col="red", lwd=2)
    abline(h=(mean(diffs, na.rm=TRUE) - seq(from=-10, to=10) * sd(diffs, na.rm=TRUE)), col="red", lty=2)
    #abline(h=(mean(diffs, na.rm=TRUE) - seq(from=-3, to=3) * sd(values, na.rm=TRUE)), col="blue", lty=2)

train_locf$six_sigma_increase[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]] <- as.logical(diffs > 6*sd(diffs, na.rm=TRUE))
    train_locf$six_sigma_decrease[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]] <- as.logical(diffs <= -6*sd(diffs, na.rm=TRUE))

train_locf$three_sigma_increase[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]] <- as.logical(diffs > 3*sd(diffs, na.rm=TRUE))
    train_locf$three_sigma_decrease[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]] <- as.logical(diffs <= -3*sd(diffs, na.rm=TRUE))

rm(list=c("values", "diffs"))
}

par(mfrow=c(1,3))

# Six Sigma Upward Diffs
train_locf$is_abnormal <-  train_locf$six_sigma_increase
test_six_sigma_upward_diffs <- left_join(select(test, -is_abnormal), 
                                         select(train_locf, meter_id, Timestamp, is_abnormal), by=c("meter_id", "Timestamp"))
sum(test_six_sigma_upward_diffs$is_abnormal)
write_csv(test_six_sigma_upward_diffs, "DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/predict_six_sigma_upward_diffs.csv")

test_six_sigma_upward_diffs <- left_join(select(test, -is_abnormal), 
                                         select(train_locf, meter_id, Timestamp, is_abnormal, Values), by=c("meter_id", "Timestamp"))
    plot(select(filter(test_six_sigma_upward_diffs, meter_id==test_meters[i] & is_abnormal==FALSE), Timestamp, Values), 
         main=paste("6 Sigma Diffs (Up)", test_meters[i]),
         col="dark green")
    points(select(filter(test_six_sigma_upward_diffs, meter_id==test_meters[i] & is_abnormal==TRUE), Timestamp, Values), 
         col="red")
}

# Six Sigma Diffs
train_locf$is_abnormal <- train_locf$six_sigma_increase | train_locf$six_sigma_decrease
test_six_sigma_diffs <- left_join(select(test, -is_abnormal), 
                                  select(train_locf, meter_id, Timestamp, is_abnormal), by=c("meter_id", "Timestamp"))
sum(test_six_sigma_diffs$is_abnormal)
write_csv(test_six_sigma_diffs, "DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/predict_six_sigma_diffs.csv")

test_six_sigma_diffs <- left_join(select(test, -is_abnormal), 
                                  select(train_locf, meter_id, Timestamp, is_abnormal, Values), by=c("meter_id", "Timestamp"))
    plot(select(filter(test_six_sigma_diffs, meter_id==test_meters[i] & is_abnormal==FALSE), Timestamp, Values), 
         main=paste("6 Sigma Diffs (All)", test_meters[i]),
         col="dark green")
    points(select(filter(test_six_sigma_diffs, meter_id==test_meters[i] & is_abnormal==TRUE), Timestamp, Values), 
         col="red")
}

# Three Sigma Upward Diffs
train_locf$is_abnormal <-  train_locf$three_sigma_increase
test_three_sigma_upward_diffs <- left_join(select(test, -is_abnormal), 
sum(test_three_sigma_upward_diffs$is_abnormal)
write_csv(test_three_sigma_upward_diffs, "DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/predict_three_sigma_upward_diffs.csv")

test_three_sigma_upward_diffs <- left_join(select(test, -is_abnormal), 
    plot(select(filter(test_three_sigma_upward_diffs, meter_id==test_meters[i] & is_abnormal==FALSE), Timestamp, Values), 
         main=paste("3 Sigma Diffs (Up)", test_meters[i]),
         col="dark green")
    points(select(filter(test_three_sigma_upward_diffs, meter_id==test_meters[i] & is_abnormal==TRUE), Timestamp, Values), 
         col="red")
}

# Three Sigma Diffs
train_locf$is_abnormal <- train_locf$three_sigma_increase | train_locf$three_sigma_decrease
test_three_sigma_diffs <- left_join(select(test, -is_abnormal), 
sum(test_three_sigma_diffs$is_abnormal)
write_csv(test_three_sigma_diffs, "DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/predict_three_sigma_diffs.csv")

test_three_sigma_diffs <- left_join(select(test, -is_abnormal), 
    plot(select(filter(test_three_sigma_diffs, meter_id==test_meters[i] & is_abnormal==FALSE), 
                     Timestamp, Values),
         main=paste("3 Sigma Diffs (All)", test_meters[i]),
         col="dark green")
    points(select(filter(test_three_sigma_diffs, meter_id==test_meters[i] & is_abnormal==TRUE), 
                  Timestamp, Values), 
         col="red")
}

par(mfrow=c(1,1))

test_values <- left_join(test, 
                         select(train_locf, meter_id, Timestamp, Values), 
                         by=c("meter_id", "Timestamp"))
test_values$is_abnormal <- FALSE
    meter_median <- median(test_values$Values[test_values$meter_id==test_meters[i]])
    test_values$is_abnormal[test_values$meter_id==test_meters[i] & test_values$Values>meter_median ] <- TRUE
}
test_values$is_abnormal[is.na(test_values$Values)] <- FALSE

plot(select(filter(test_values, meter_id==test_meters[i] & is_abnormal==TRUE), 
                     Timestamp, Values),
         main="Above Median",
         col="red",
         ylim=c(min(test_values$Values[test_values$meter_id==test_meters[i]]),
                max(test_values$Values[test_values$meter_id==test_meters[i]])))
    points(select(filter(test_values, meter_id==test_meters[i] & is_abnormal==FALSE), 
                  Timestamp, Values), 
         col="dark green")
}

write_csv(select(test_values, -Values), "DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/predict_above_median.csv")

test_values$is_abnormal <- !test_values$is_abnormal
write_csv(select(test_values, -Values), "DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/predict_below_median.csv")

# https://github.com/twitter/AnomalyDetection

# the documentation doesn't mention anything about NAs, so I'll use the locf-filled data that was also used for the delta analysis
rm(list=ls(pattern="test_")) # remove previous predictions
test_meters <- levels(as.factor(test$meter_id))
train_locf <- as.data.frame(select(train_locf, meter_id, Timestamp, Values, Values_cs)) # as.data.frame to avoid tibble warnings
train_locf$is_abnormal <- FALSE
ADout <- NULL

# Need to determine the sampling interval -- https://github.com/twitter/AnomalyDetection/issues/15
    timediff <- rbind(select(filter(train_locf, meter_id==test_meters[i]), Timestamp), NA) - 
                rbind(NA, select(filter(train_locf, meter_id==test_meters[i]), Timestamp))
    summary(as.numeric(unlist(timediff))) # Are gaps OK?
    granularity <- median(as.numeric(unlist(timediff)), na.rm=TRUE)

# if a period is a day and the timediffs are in minutes:
    period <- (24*60)/granularity

ADout[i] <- list(AnomalyDetectionVec(select(filter(train_locf, meter_id==test_meters[i]), Values), 
                                    direction="both",
                                    max_anoms=0.33, 
                                    alpha=0.05, 
                                    period=period, 
                                    longterm_period=7*period, 
                                    plot=TRUE, 
                                    title=test_meters[i]))
    ADout[[i]][2]
    anom_rows <- unlist(ADout[[i]][[1]][1])

labeled <- select(filter(train_locf, meter_id==test_meters[i]), is_abnormal)
    labeled$index <- seq(from=1, to=length(labeled$is_abnormal))
    labeled$is_abnormal[labeled$index %in% anom_rows] <- TRUE
    sum(labeled$is_abnormal)/length(labeled$is_abnormal) # does this match the "% Anomalies" in the plot?
    train_locf$is_abnormal[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]] <- labeled$is_abnormal
}

test_AD <- left_join(select(test, -is_abnormal), 
                     select(train_locf, meter_id, Timestamp, is_abnormal), 
sum(test_AD$is_abnormal)
write_csv(test_AD, "DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/predict_AD_dirBoth_max330_alpha050_lperiod7.csv")

test_AD <- left_join(select(test, -is_abnormal), 
                     select(train_locf, meter_id, Timestamp, is_abnormal, Values), 
    plot(select(filter(test_AD, meter_id==test_meters[i] & is_abnormal==FALSE), Timestamp, Values),  
         main="AnomalyDetection",
         col="dark green")
    points(select(filter(test_AD, meter_id==test_meters[i] & is_abnormal==TRUE), Timestamp, Values), 
         col="red")
}

# first is week days and work days
train <- mutate(train, weekday=weekdays(Timestamp), month=months(Timestamp), year=format(Timestamp, "%Y"))
train$workday <- TRUE
train[train$weekday %in% c("Saturday", "Sunday"), "workday"] <- FALSE
print(paste("5/7 =", 5/7))

# the holidays data is only provided for two sites:
unique(holidays$site_id)

# and they're not the same between sites
holidays$foo <- 1
plot(select(filter(holidays, site_id==unique(holidays$site_id)[1]), Date, foo), 
     main="Holidays By Site",
     ylab="",
     col="darkblue")
points(select(filter(holidays, site_id==unique(holidays$site_id)[2]), Date, foo), col="orange", pch=4)
holidays <- select(holidays, -foo)

train$date <- as.Date(trunc(train$Timestamp, "day"))
train$hour <- as.POSIXlt(train$Timestamp)$hour

test_site <- head(train$site_id[train$meter_id==test_meters[i]], 1)
    print(paste("meter_id:", test_meters[i], "site_id:", test_site))
    print(paste("Ratio of workdays (before holidays):", 
                nrow(unique(select(filter(train, workday==TRUE, meter_id==test_meters[i]), date)))/
                    nrow(unique(select(filter(train, meter_id==test_meters[i]), date)))))

if(head(select(filter(train, meter_id==test_meters[i]), site_id), 1) %in% holidays$site_id) {
        print(paste("Marking", 
                    length(train$workday[train$date %in% holidays$Date[holidays$site_id==test_meters[i]]]), 
                    "holidays as non-workdays"))
        train$workday[train$date %in% holidays$Date[holidays$site_id==test_meters[i]]] <- FALSE
    }

print(paste("Ratio of workdays (after holidays):", 
                nrow(unique(select(filter(train, workday==TRUE, meter_id==test_meters[i]), date)))/
                    nrow(unique(select(filter(train, meter_id==test_meters[i]), date)))))
}

# high and low daily temperatures near each site
# the weather data doesn't span the train/test data:
summary(weather)
summary(test)

weather$date <- as.Date(trunc(weather$Timestamp, "day"))
weather_daily <- summarise(group_by(weather, date, site_id, Distance), 
                           dailyMin=min(Temperature), 
                           dailyMax=max(Temperature),
                           dailyMean=mean(Temperature))
weather_daily_single <- summarise(group_by(weather_daily, date, site_id), Distance=min(Distance))
weather_daily_single <- left_join(weather_daily_single, weather_daily, 
                                  by=c("date", "site_id", "Distance"))
    test_site <- head(train$site_id[train$meter_id==test_meters[i]], 1)
    plot(select(filter(weather_daily_single, site_id==test_site), date, dailyMean), 
         main=paste("Average Daily Temperature for", test_site))
}

train <- left_join(train, select(weather_daily_single, -Distance), 
                   by=c("date", "site_id"))

# randomForest doesn't handle NAs. I'll fill the meter reaings as I did before. Then, since the weather 
# data doesn't span the training data, I'll clip the training data at the extents of the weather data.

rm(list=ls(pattern="test_"))
rm(list=ls(pattern="train_locf"))
test_meters <- levels(as.factor(test$meter_id))

# locf/nocb on values
train_locf <- filter(train, meter_id %in% test_meters)
                                                        fromLast=FALSE, 
                                                        na.rm=FALSE)
                                                        fromLast=TRUE, 
                                                        na.rm=FALSE)
}

# cumulative meters
train_locf$Values_cs <- NA
    values <- unlist(select(filter(train_locf, meter_id==test_meters[i]), Values))

if(sum(diffs[-1] >= 0)/length(diffs[-1]) > 0.99)  {
        # if the deltas are >>50% positive (or zero), then it's probably cumulative
        train_locf$Values_cs[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]] <- train_locf$Values[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]]
        if(any(diffs<0)) {
            # if the deltas are <100% postive (or zero), then it probably wraps-around
            wraps <- which(diffs<0)
            limit <- 10^round(log10(max(values)))
            print(values[wraps])
            for(w in 1:length(wraps)) {
                print(paste("Correcting wrap", w, "onwards"))
                values[wraps[w]:length(values)] <- values[wraps[w]:length(values)] + limit
                print(values[wraps])
            }
            } else {
            }
    } else {
        train_locf$Values_cs[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]] <-
            cumsum(train_locf$Values[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]])
    }
}

# crop to weather data
# TODO extrapolate weather data
print(paste("Number of training rows:", nrow(train_locf)))
print(paste("Weather data runs from", min(weather_daily_single$date), "to", max(weather_daily_single$date)))
    print(paste("Meter", test_meters[i], "data runs from", min(train_locf$date[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]]), 
                "to", max(train_locf$date[train_locf$meter_id==test_meters[i]])))
    train_locf <- filter(train_locf, meter_id %in% test_meters[-i] | 
                             ((meter_id==test_meters[i] & date >= min(weather_daily_single$date)) &
                             (meter_id==test_meters[i] & date <= max(weather_daily_single$date))))
}

# when you only have a hammer
# TODO where are these NAs coming from?
train_locf <- select(train_locf, -surface)
train_locf <- na.omit(train_locf)

set.seed(1)

train_rf <- select(train_locf, meter_id, Timestamp, Values, 
                   weekday, month, year, workday, hour, 
                   dailyMin, dailyMax, dailyMean)
train_rf$weekday <- as.factor(train_rf$weekday)
train_rf$month <- as.factor(train_rf$month)
train_rf$year <- as.factor(train_rf$year)
train_rf$workday <- as.factor(train_rf$workday)

#stop() # several hours worth of model building below

#rf1
model_filename <- "DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/rf1.RData"
if(file.exists(model_filename)) {
    print(paste("Loading model from", model_filename))
    load(model_filename)
} else {
    system.time(rf1 <- randomForest(Values~.-meter_id, 
                                data=select(filter(train_rf, meter_id==test_meters[1]), -Timestamp), 
                                importance=TRUE))
    rf1
    importance(rf1)
    save(rf1, file=model_filename)
}

#rf2
model_filename <- "DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/rf2.RData"
    load(model_filename)
} else {
    system.time(rf2 <- randomForest(Values~.-meter_id, 
                                data=select(filter(train_rf, meter_id==test_meters[2]), -Timestamp), 
                                importance=TRUE))
    rf2
    importance(rf2)
    save(rf2, file=model_filename)
}

#rf3
model_filename <- "DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/rf3.RData"
    load(model_filename)
} else {
    system.time(rf3 <- randomForest(Values~.-meter_id, 
                                data=select(filter(train_rf, meter_id==test_meters[3]), -Timestamp), 
                                importance=TRUE))
    rf3
    importance(rf3)
    save(rf3, file=model_filename)
}

# TODO: derive/columns as we did for train, not from train directly
test_rf <- left_join(select(test, meter_id, Timestamp), 
                     train_rf, 
test_rf <- na.omit(test_rf)

yhat_rf <- predict(rf1, newdata=select(filter(test_rf, meter_id==test_meters[1]), -Timestamp, -Values))
yhat_rf <- c(yhat_rf, predict(rf2, newdata=select(filter(test_rf, meter_id==test_meters[2]), -Timestamp, -Values)))
yhat_rf <- c(yhat_rf, predict(rf3, newdata=select(filter(test_rf, meter_id==test_meters[3]), -Timestamp, -Values)))
yhat_rf <- cbind(select(test_rf, meter_id, Timestamp, Values), yhat_rf)

plot(x=yhat_rf$Values[yhat_rf$meter_id==test_meters[i]], 
         y=yhat_rf$yhat_rf[yhat_rf$meter_id==test_meters[i]],
         main=paste("Predicted vs. Actual", test_meters[i]),
         xlab="Actual Energy Usage",
         ylab="Predicted Energy Usage")
}

yhat_rf$diff <- yhat_rf$Values - yhat_rf$yhat_rf
yhat_rf$diff_percent <- yhat_rf$diff/yhat_rf$Values

yhat_rf$diff_percent[yhat_rf$Values==0] <- 0
yhat_rf$is_abnormal <- FALSE
percent_diff_cutoff <- 0.50
yhat_rf$is_abnormal[abs(yhat_rf$diff_percent)>percent_diff_cutoff] <- TRUE
print(paste("Percentage of records marked anomalous:", sum(yhat_rf$is_abnormal)/nrow(yhat_rf)))

yhat_rf <- left_join(select(test, -is_abnormal), 
                     select(yhat_rf, meter_id, Timestamp, Values, yhat_rf, is_abnormal), 
yhat_rf$is_abnormal[is.na(yhat_rf$is_abnormal)] <- FALSE

plot(select(filter(yhat_rf, meter_id==test_meters[i] & is_abnormal==FALSE), Timestamp, Values), 
         main=paste("randomForest, Site", test_meters[i]),
         col="dark green")
    points(select(filter(yhat_rf, meter_id==test_meters[i] & is_abnormal==TRUE), Timestamp, Values), 
         col="red")
}

write_csv(select(yhat_rf, obs_id, meter_id, Timestamp, is_abnormal), 
          "DrivenData_PowerLaws_DetectingAnomaliesInUsage/predict_RF_050simplePercentDiff.csv")

## References

#* Casella, G., Fienberg, S., Olkin, I., James, G., Witten, D., Hastie, T., & Tibshirani, R. (2014). An Introduction to Statistical Learning. Design (Vol. 102). http://doi.org/10.1016/j.peva.2007.06.006
#* Algorithms for Time Series Anomaly Detection. (2017). CrossValidated. Retrieved from https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/137094/algorithms-for-time-series-anomaly-detection.
#* AnomalyDetection. (2015). Twitter. Retrieved from https://github.com/twitter/AnomalyDetection.
#* Power Laws: Detecting Anomalies in Usage. (2018). DrivenData Competition. Retrieved from https://www.drivendata.org/competitions/52/anomaly-detection-electricity/page/102/.
#* tsoutliers: Detection of Outliers in Time Series. (2017). CRAN. Retrieved from https://cran.r-project.org/package=tsoutliers.

Final report (Rmd and knitted HTML) here: